Pineapple Chicken, a simple dish for pan seared chicken and pineapples cooked in pineapple juice reduction infused with chillies, fish sauce and other aromatics.
- 6 pcs chicken thighs
- 227 g can pineapple slices, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 pcs red chillies
- 3 pcs small shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- coriander, to garnish
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper
- Heat up a heavy skillet in high heat, add small amount of oil and once it starts to smoke, pan sear chicken thighs on both sides until brown. Remove chicken from skillet then set it aside.
- Using the same skillet still in high heat, pan sear pineapples until lightly browned and caramelised on both sides. Remove pineapples from skillet then set it aside.
- In the same skillet add oil if needed, lower the heat to medium low then sauté garlic and shallots until fragrant.
- Add chillies then stir fry for a few seconds.
- Pour reserved liquid and add pineapple juice, bring heat to medium high then let it boil, once boiling add the browned chicken then owner the heat to low. Cover the skillet then cook chicken for 20 minutes.
- Bring heat to high to reduce the liquid to a third of its volume, season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add pineapple slices on top, garnish with coriander then turn the heat off. Serve on skillet while hot.