Chinese Spinach Soup is a soup dish made with Chinese spinach that has been blended then cooked with mushroom, prawns and vermicelli in a stock thickened by eggs and cornstarch.
- 4 cups or 1 large bunch of Chinese Spinach, roughly chopped and trimmed of thick stalks
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 cup boiling water, chopped into small cubes
- 6 pcs fresh white button mushrooms, chopped into small cubes
- 200 g prawns, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small bundle vermicelli noodles, approx. 1 cup
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water, for boiling
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- fish sauce, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a pot over high heat pour 2 cups of water then bring it to a boil. Add the Chinese Spinach then cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Turn heat off.
- Using a hand / stick blender, blend the then spinach into a puree set it aside.
- In another pot heat oil then sauté the garlic.
- Add the prawns, white button mushrooms, rehydrated mushrooms (reserve the liquid). Cook in medium heat until prawns turn orange red
- Add the chicken stock then bring to a boil.
- Add the vermicelli noodles then cook for 4 minutes.
- Bring heat to high, pour the pureed spinach, then let it boil.
- Mix cornstarch with reserved water from rehydrating the mushrooms, gently pour it into the pot then stir until the soup has thickened.
- Bring heat back to low then gently pour eggs while mixing in a circular motion to create egg strands.
- Season with fish sauce and white pepper, turn heat off then serve.