Nilauja is a dish from Bohol Philippines made with pork bones sauteed with garlic, ginger and onions then simmered in soy sauce and vinegar with black beans.
- In a pot heat oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger in medium heat.
- Bring heat to high then add pork then brown it on all sides. Once pork is browned, add the annatto powder and mix it evenly.
- Pour soy sauce, vinegar and water, bring it to a boil, lower heat to medium low then simmer for 1 hour and 15 mins or until meat is soft and liquid has dried out.
- Add a bit of water, give it a mix to distribute the sauce then add the fermented black beans, simmer in low heat for 15 more minutes.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, remove from heat, garnish with chopped spring onions then serve.