Nilauja is a dish from Bohol Philippines made with pork bones sauteed with garlic, ginger and onions then simmered in soy sauce and vinegar with black beans.
- 1 1/2 kg pork soft bones
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cane vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp fermented black beans
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp annatto powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot heat oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger in medium heat.
- Bring heat to high then add pork then brown it on all sides. Once pork is browned, add the annatto powder and mix it evenly.
- Pour soy sauce, vinegar and water, bring it to a boil, lower heat to medium low then simmer for 1 hour and 15 mins or until meat is soft and liquid has dried out.
- Add a bit of water, give it a mix to distribute the sauce then add the fermented black beans, simmer in low heat for 15 more minutes.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, remove from heat, garnish with chopped spring onions then serve.