Binondo Style Tahu Goreng is the Filipino Chinese style version of the famous Indonesian Fried Tofu, served in a spicy sweet savoury sauce with sliced cucumbers, peanuts and sesame seeds.
- 2 pcs 250 g tofu
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 pc small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- sambal oelek
- Prepare a deep fryer or wok, fill it up with oil then heat to 180C.
- While oil is heating up, fully drain the tofu and pat it dry with paper towels. Once tofu is dry, deep fry tofu until golden brown in colour and crispy on the outer layer. Remove from fryer then set it aside.
- In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients apart from oil and garlic. Mix it well, set aside.
- In a saucepan add oil then sauté garlic in low heat. Pour combined sauce, bring heat to medium and bring to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Score fried tofu on top so it absorbs the sauce, place tofu on individual platters. Pour the sauce, garnish with toppings then serve.