Binondo Style Beef Tendon Curry is a Filipino Chinese beef tendon dish prepared by slowly simmering tendons with garlic, ginger, onion, red bell pepper. lemongrass, Chinese herbal seasoning mix in a curry powder and coconut milk infused sauce.
- 1 kg beef tendons, sliced into 2-inch sections
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 Chinese Soup Herb Bag / Herbal Soup Chinese Seasoning Set
- 3 stalks lemongrass, tied into a knot
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp MSG (optional, as suggested by the video)
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 pcs shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cups water
- 400 ml coconut milk
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and shallots for a minute.
- Add the red capsicum then sauté for a minute.
- Pour the water into the pot together with the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Add the tendons, Chinese Herb Bag, lemongrass and curry powder, bring it to a boil then simmer in low heat for 4 to 5 hours or until tendons are very soft in texture. Check liquid levels during the simmering process and add water if it dries out.
- While tendons are simmering, prepare a deep fryer or a wok filled with oil, heat oil then once it reaches 180C, deep fry potatoes for 6 minutes or until cooked, remove from fryer then drain off excess oil. Set it aside.
- Once tendons are soft add the fried potatoes and pour the coconut milk, mix well to combine then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions, then serve while hot with freshly cooked rice.