Spicy Beef Noodle Soup is an Asian inspired noodle soup dish prepared with Beef slowly simmered with Asian aromatics, chillies and Sichuan peppercorns served with fresh egg noodles.
- 2 kg beef bones
- 1 kg beef brisket or beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 litres cold water
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut in half
- 1 pc dried tangerine peel
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 whole garlic, peeled
- 1 pc onion, quartered
- 2 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tbsp spicy bean paste
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- ground black pepper
- fresh egg noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- blanched, bok choy
- spring onions, chopped
- fried garlic
- red chillies
- In a pot combine all Beef Soup ingredients together apart from the beef brisket and tangerine peel. Bring it to a boil then simmer in low heat for 4 hours.
- Add the beef brisket, bring back to a boil then simmer in high heat for 10 minutes. Turn heat off then set it aside.
- In a separate pot, heat oil over medium low heat. Add the Sichuan peppercorns, garlic cloves, onion, star anise and bay leaves, sauté until onions turn soft.
- Add the spicy bean paste and tomatoes then cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the light soy sauce and sugar, give it a good mix and cook until sugar has completely melted.
Scoop out the beef bones and beef brisket from the other pot, transfer it to the sauteed aromatics pot.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the stock into the pot where you transferred the beef. Bring it to a boil over high heat, add the tangerine peel then simmer in medium low heat for 90 minutes or until beef is tender. Once in a while check liquid levels, add water if necessary.
- Season with salt (if needed) and ground white pepper. Turn the heat off.
- Prepare your noodle bowls, add your cooked noodles then pour some soup and add a generous amount of beef. Place blanched bok choy on the side then garnish it with chopped spring onions, fried garlic and red chillies. Serve it while its hot.