Spicy Beef Noodle Soup is an Asian inspired noodle soup dish prepared with Beef slowly simmered with Asian aromatics, chillies and Sichuan peppercorns served with fresh egg noodles.
- 2 kg beef bones
- 1 kg beef brisket or beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 litres cold water
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut in half
- 1 pc dried tangerine peel
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 whole garlic, peeled
- 1 pc onion, quartered
- 2 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tbsp spicy bean paste
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- ground black pepper
- fresh egg noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- blanched, bok choy
- spring onions, chopped
- fried garlic
- red chillies
- In a pot combine all Beef Soup ingredients together apart from the beef brisket and tangerine peel. Bring it to a boil then simmer in low heat for 4 hours.
- Add the beef brisket, bring back to a boil then simmer in high heat for 10 minutes. Turn heat off then set it aside.
- In a separate pot, heat oil over medium low heat. Add the Sichuan peppercorns, garlic cloves, onion, star anise and bay leaves, sauté until onions turn soft.
- Add the spicy bean paste and tomatoes then cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the light soy sauce and sugar, give it a good mix and cook until sugar has completely melted.
Scoop out the beef bones and beef brisket from the other pot, transfer it to the sauteed aromatics pot.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the stock into the pot where you transferred the beef. Bring it to a boil over high heat, add the tangerine peel then simmer in medium low heat for 90 minutes or until beef is tender. Once in a while check liquid levels, add water if necessary.
- Season with salt (if needed) and ground white pepper. Turn the heat off.
- Prepare your noodle bowls, add your cooked noodles then pour some soup and add a generous amount of beef. Place blanched bok choy on the side then garnish it with chopped spring onions, fried garlic and red chillies. Serve it while its hot.
This looks so appetizing and moreish! I love that you made everything from the scratch. An awesome treat, Raymund.
I love this! My huband and I have become addicted to noodle bowls so I’m always looking for something new. Have never made one with beef and beef stock before and I just l love your recipe. Thanks for sharing this!
I tend to find noodle soups boring, but of course this wound’t be!
I love beef noodle soup but no, I am not into it spicy.
Ooo this looks terrific! Beautifully styled, too – loving your artistic vision and colours!
Looks truly delicious and colorful — and there’s nothing like bone broth, is there?