Silvanas / Sylvanas is a Filipino frozen cookie snack/dessert prepared with cashew meringue layered with butter cream then rolled in ground cookies and cashews.
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup ground salted cashews
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks, chilled
- 225 g butter, cubed and softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Create a template for your meringue by drawing 10 cm by 7 cm oval in a piece of paper. Trace this template into a baking paper, do it repeatedly across the area of your baking paper until you have 15 ovals, do it again on another baking paper, so in total you will have 30 oval shapes. Set baking paper aside.
- In a mixer whisk 5 egg large whites on medium-high speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar then continue whisking until it can for soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar then continue to whisk until meringue is shiny and can form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold ground salted cashews until evenly distributed into the meringue.
- Place meringue mixture into a piping bag. Place baking paper with drawn ovals, ink sided down into a baking tray then pipe meringue into the baking sheet following the drawn ovals. Smoothen top with spatula.
- Bake in a 145C preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sides turn a light brown. Turn the heat off then leave the cookies in the oven for another 10 minutes to fully crisp and cook.
- Remove from oven, let it fully cool down before adding the buttercream.
- In a large pot boil water, bring it to a simmer.
- In a large stainless-steel bowl, whisk together 5 large egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt. Place bowl on top of simmering pot then constantly stir and scrape the side until egg yolk mixture is cooked or temperature reached 68C, be careful with the temperature so it does not become a scrambled egg.
- Place stainless steel bowl over the top of another bowl filled with cold water to cool down the mixture. Using a hand mixer whisk egg yolk for 8 minutes.
- Gently add the butter, one small cube at a time then continue whisking until buttercream is thick and creamy and pale in colour. Set it aside in a cool place.
- Combine coating ingredients in a large bowl, mix it well.
- Grab a cooled down cookie, spread some buttercream on the uneven side, do this with three layers of cookies then sandwich them together, make sure smooth sides are on the outside. Fill the outsides with buttercream then smoothen it out with a spatula.
- Roll the cookie in graham cracker cashew crumbs mixture, set it aside and place it in a container that you can cover. Do it with the remaining cookies. Makes 10 pieces of 3-layer sylvanas.
- Chill before servings, best served cold.