Garlicky Pechay & Tofu is a vegetarian recipe of stir fried deep fried crispy tofu with chopped Pak Choy in a sauce infused with tons of garlic, shallots and ginger.
- 2 blocks firm tofu (approx. 500g), cut into small cubes
- 400 g large bunches of pechay / baby pak choy, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce (adjust according to your liking)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 pcs shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a wok heat oil for deep frying, once hot deep fry tofu until golden brown and crispy, remove from wok then set it aside.
- In a separate wok, heat small amount of oil then sauté garlic in low heat until light brown.
- Add shallots and ginger then continue to sauté until shallots are soft.
- Bring heat to high then add the pechay, stir fry for 30 seconds then slowly add the vegetable stock and light soy sauce. Cook for a minute or until pechay is slightly wilted, slightly crunchy texture is better.
- Add the tofu, sugar and sesame oil, give it a good mix to coat tofu with the sauce. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt (if needed) then serve.