Matar Paneer is an Indian curry dish made with paneer and green peas cooked in a spicy onion tomato masala gravy. Best served with rice, naan or paratha.
- 500 grams paneer, cubed
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 pcs cinnamon bark
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 cup green peas
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 dozen cashews, soaked in water for an hour
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tbsp yogurt
- 4 pcs green cardamom
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Prepare spice gravy, in a sauce pan heat oil then sauté green cardamoms, ginger & garlic.
- Add onions then continue to sauté until it starts to caramelise.
- Add tomatoes, cashew and salt then continue to cook for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Turn heat off then let it cool down.
- Pour yogurt into the sauce pan then using a hand blender, blend the tomatoes and yoghurt to make a smooth paste. Set this aside.
- In a wide pan, heat ghee. Add bay leaf and cinnamon then sauté for a minute.
- Add the turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and sugar, stir and mix well. Cook for a minute in low heat.
- Pour the tomato yoghurt paste then continue to cook while continuously stirring until thickened.
- Pour the water, bring heat to medium and let it boil. Mixture will thicken, add more water to adjust to your desired consistency.
- Add the paneer and green peas, crush the dried fenugreek leaves using your fingers and add it to the pan. Continue to cook for 10 minutes in low heat or until traces of oil appear over the gravy.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves, pour cream and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt then turn heat off. Serve.