Salted Egg Chicken Burger is a type of Chicken Burger prepared with crispy fried chicken thigh patty, salted duck egg yolk sauce, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce served on a soft brioche bun.
Crispy Chicken Patty
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs, approx. 6 pieces
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
Salted Duck Egg Yolk Sauce
- 6 cooked salted egg yolks, mashed
- 2 pcs red chillies, finely minced
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 2 pcs small shallots, finely minced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- 6 pcs brioche buns
- sliced cucumber
- sliced tomatoes
- Prepare your Salted Duck Egg Yolk Sauce. In a pan over low heat melt butter then sauté garlic, shallots, curry leaves and red chillies until very aromatic.
- Add salted duck egg yolks then keep stirring until its mashed and starts bubbling.
- Add milk, sugar and white pepper, mix it well then season with salt if necessary. Adjust the thickness if you wish by adding or removing small amounts of evaporated milk. Remove from heat then set it aside.
- Prepare your chicken patty. In a bowl mix thoroughly eggs and fish sauce.
- Lightly flatten the chicken pieces then marinate it with the egg mixture in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for 2 hours.
- In a large container with cover, mix flour, cornstarch, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Add the chicken 1 piece at a time and cover the bowl, then shake. This will cover the chicken with the flour mixture, remove from the container then do it with the remaining marinated chicken pieces.
- Heat up oil in a deep fryer, once the oil hits 180C and add chicken one piece at a time then let it deep fry for 8-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken meat. Remove chicken from fryer then set it aside.
- Assemble your burger. Slice the brioche buns in half then lightly steam your brioche buns to give it a bit of moisture and soften the bun, sliced section in the bottom.
- Using the bottom part of the bun, add a tablespoon if mayonnaise, add a layer of lettuce leaves, tomato, a piece of chicken patty, a good dollop of salted duck egg yolk sauce, cucumber and sriracha sauce. Place the top bun then serve.
Wonderful flavors in the Raymund — I especially can’t wait to try the salted egg sauce! I also love how crispy the chicken is!
That salted egg sauce is really special and delicious! I need to make some to drink it LOL
Salted eggs are one thing that I haven’t seen any vegan equivalent for… Yet. Sounds like a project! Also, you’re right on trend, because I heard that the big innovation coming in the New Year is a salted egg syrup from Toriani. Very curious about what you would actually do with that…
I’d go without the salted egg sauce. Overkill! At one time, it was everything salted egg. Don’t hear of it so much these days – guess the trend had died out.
Oh yes! I actually am working on a recipe using salted egg, so this is definitely up my alley! Looks incredibly delicious!