Chicken Pastil is a Filipino breakfast recipe popular in Mindanao prepared with steamed rice topped with shredded chicken
- Prepare the rice, Place rice on your rice cooker pot, rinse rice in cold water. Drain rice fully. Add 3 1/4 cups of water. Place pot into rice cooker then press cook.
- Prepare the kagikit, in a pan add a bit of oil then brown chicken thighs on all sides. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (the lesser amount of liquid the better so the taste won’t be diluted) then bring it to a boil, cover your pan then simmer it in low heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken can be flaked easily.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, reserve the liquid. Flake the chicken then set it aside.
In a clean pan, add oil then sauté garlic and onions, cook until onions are soft. Add the shredded chicken and turmeric. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper, continue to cook while constantly stirring for 5 minutes in medium heat, add a bit of the reserved liquid to give it some moisture.
- Season with salt if necessary.
- Prepare your banana leaf, run the banana leaf over a stove top with fire on, once it turns shiny, do it on the other side. This will release the banana leaf oil.
- For each serving prepare a banana leaf on a work surface, add rice on top and shape it as a log, top it with kagikit then roll the banana leaf and seal the sides. Serve with sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes and boiled eggs.