Salted Egg Pork Belly is a recipe of crispy deep fried battered pork belly tossed in a sweet savoury spicy sauce made with salted duck egg yolks.
Deep Fried Battered Pork
- 600g Skinless Pork belly or Well marbled pork loin, cut into thin bite size sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for deep frying
- freshly ground black pepper
Salted Egg Yolk Sauce
- 6 pcs salted duck egg yolks, mashed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc birds eye chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- curry leaves from 2 sprigs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a deep bowl combine together 1/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup corn flour, 2 eggs, 4 tbsp water and 1 tsp salt, mix thoroughly until free of lumps, texture should be sticky but still runny.
- Add pork and coat evenly, set aside and place in fridge covered for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare a wok and add oil for frying pork pieces. In small batches, deep fry pork in high heat of for 5 minutes that should be enough to cook the meat and retain the tenderness. Drain then set aside on a plate.
- In a separate wok melt butter, then sauté garlic, chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the salted egg yolks, milk and sugar, mix and cook until bubbly.
- Toss in the deep-fried pork, stir fry until all pork pieces are evenly coated with the salted duck egg yolk mixture.