Chinese Daikon, Carrot, and Tomato Beef Stew is a type of beef stew cooked with tomatoes, daikon radish and carrots seasoned with Asian aromatics and spices such as ginger, orange peel and star anise giving it a unique taste.
- 1 kg beef brisket, cubed
- 400 g can chopped tomato
- 2 pcs carrots, sliced
- 1 small daikon radish, approx. 400g chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Chinese rice wine
- 2 pcs star anise
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp dried orange peel
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- fish sauce, to season
- white pepper, to season
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- Season beef with salt then set it aside
- In a large pot, heat oil using high heat then add the beef pieces in batches then brown it on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pot then set it aside.
- Using the same pot, add oil, if necessary, then sauté ginger and onions.
- Pour the Chinese rice wine to deglaze the pot then add the beef back.
- Pour the chopped tomato, beef stock, water and soy sauce. Add the star anise, cinnamon stick and dried orange peel then bring to a boil, cover the pot. Simmer for 1 hour in low heat, check for liquid levels once in a while and add water if necessary.
- Add the carrots and daikon, continue to simmer in low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until beef is really tender.
- Season with fish sauce and white pepper.
- Turn heat off then serve topped with chopped spring onions.