Mexican Coffee Bun is a Malaysian bread made with a very pillowy soft sweet bun with a butter coffee crunchy topping.
- 2 1/2 cups high grade flour
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 220 ml milk, lukewarm
- 60 grams butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 80 grams butter, divided into 8 separate cubes then frozen
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 90 grams butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- In a bowl combine milk and yeast, set it aside for 15 minutes or until it is proofed and bubbly.
- In a stand-up mixing bowl combine the rest of the dough ingredients, pour the milk and yeast mixture. Using the kneading hook, knead in the lowest setting until the dough comes together.
- Bring knead setting to the next speed then knead for 15-20 minutes or until dough is elastic and smooth. Cover the bowl with cling wrap, place in a warm location then let it rise.
- Once double in size, place it in the refrigerator for additional proofing, keep it there overnight, don’t skip this step as this will make it really soft and fluffy. If you can’t wait overnight, you can still continue to the next step, it won’t just be a soft and fluffy as an overnight proofed dough.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, be careful not to deflate it too much. Divide into 8 equal sections. For each section, gently flatten it to a small disc, place a frozen butter in the middle then fold the sides to enclose the butter in the middle. Shape it into a ball then place on a baking paper lined baking sheet, do it with the rest of the dough. Make sure you leave ample space in between as this bread will grow.
- Set the prepared bread aside in a warm location and let it rise until it doubles in size. Butter may seep through but that’s fine, it will be absorbed back into the bread during baking.
- In a bowl combine instant coffee powder and hot water, set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a hand mixer. Once the butter becomes pale in colour gently add the egg and whisk until smooth. Add the cocoa powder then followed by the dissolved coffee, mix well until blended.
- Add the all-purpose flour and cornstarch then gently fold until mixture is well incorporated.
- Place mixture in a piping bag, using a small round hole tip, pipe the mixture into the well risen dough by a swirling pattern from the centre of the bread up to near the edges.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn heat off then leave it for another 10 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven, let it cool down then serve warm.