Salmon Belly Paksiw sa Gata is a Filipino dish of seasoned salmon belly that has been grilled then served in a sauce made with vinegar and coconut milk infused with sauté aromatics.
- 1 kg salon belly, cleaned
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut vinegar
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 pcs long green chillies, whole
- 4 pcs birds eye chillies, chopped
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place salmon belly on an aluminium foil lined baking pan then season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place and grill in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes or until cooked and golden brown.
- Remove from oven then set it aside.
- Blanch you bok choy in boiling water for a minute, drain and rinse with running cold water then set it aside.
- In a pan, add oil then sauté garlic, onion, white sections of spring onion and ginger.
- Pour the 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Add the red and green chillies then let it slowly boil over medium heat once it starts boiling pour the coconut milk then let it go back to a boil.
- Once it goes back to a slow boil season it with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper, gently add the salmon belly together with the juices from the aluminium lining then simmer in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Place bok choy on the side of the serving platter, place the finished dish on the serving platter.
- Sprinkle chopped spring onions on top then serve.