Pata at Binatog is an original creation here at Ang Sarap where pork leg is slowly simmered in a tomato-based sauce where it cooked together with hominy (binatog), red capsicum and carrots.
- 1 1/2 pork leg, cut into smaller sections
- 3 cups cooked hominy
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- In a pot heat oil in high heat, add the pork leg then brown it on all sides. Remove pork leg then set aside.
- In the same pot add oil if needed then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add carrots then continue to cook for a minute
- Bring back the pork legs to the pot together with the paprika and 1 tbsp of the tomato paste, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour water, chopped tomatoes and add the bay leaf, bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check liquid levels once in a while and add more water if needed.
- Add the cooked hominy beans, red capsicum and the remaining tomato paste, simmer for 15 more minutes, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve garnished with chopped coriander