Braised Green Beans and Eggplant in Soy Sauce is a popular Chinese dish prepared by stir frying Green Beans and Eggplant in soy sauce infused with garlic, onions and chillies.
- 150 g green beans, trimmed and sliced
- 3 long eggplants, sliced cut into strips
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- fish sauce or sea salt (for vegetarian/vegan option), to taste
- salt, for soaking the eggplants
- Prepare a large bowl of water and add 1 tbsp of salt. Place eggplant in the bowl then let it soak for 15 minutes. Drain completely then set it aside.
- Place wok in high and once it starts to smoke add the oil, once oil starts to smoke, add eggplants then stir fry until soft. Take note eggplants will absorb oil quickly at the start, but they will release oil when properly cooked. Remove eggplants from the wok, set it aside then leave the oil.
- Still in high heat, add the green beans then stir fry for 4 minutes or until the surface of green beans blisters. Remove green beans from the wok then set it aside.
- Using the remaining oil from the wok, lower the heat to medium then sauté garlic, chillies and spring onions.
- Return the eggplants and green beans, add the brown sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce, stir fry for a minute, give it a good mix then turn heat off and serve.