Eight Treasure Stir Fry or Happō-sai is a popular Japanese dish prepared with eight ingredients consisting of different vegetables, meats, and seafood where it is stir fried then thickened with potato starch.
Meat and Vegetables
- 12 pcs shrimps
- 250 g squid tentacles
- 250 g pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 200g white button mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup rehydrated wood ear fungus
- 15 pcs quail eggs, boiled
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- white pepper
- In a large wok, heat oil in high heat then add pork belly slices. Cook until pork belly fat renders oil.
- Add the squid, prawns, and rehydrated wood ear fungus, stir fry for a minute.
- Add the Chinese cabbage, carrot and white button mushrooms then continue to stir fry in high heat for three minutes.
- In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients apart from the rice wine vinegar, salt, and white pepper, mix it well then pour it into the wok. Bring it to a boil and cook until sauce is thick.
- Season with salt and white pepper then add the rice wine vinegar, give it a good mix then serve.