Charred Octopus and Chorizo is a Spanish Style dish prepared with twice cooked octopus where it is braised in Court Bouillon then grilled finished off with chorizo and white beans.
Octopus and Beans
- 800 g octopus, cleaned
- 150 g chorizo, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 400g can white beans, drained
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- chopped fresh Italian parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 6 cups clam stock
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 whole garlic
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a stock pot combine all broth ingredients together, bring to a boil then simmer in medium heat
- Add the octopus then let it poach in low heat for 1 hour. Make sure not to let the broth boil otherwise the meat will be mushy.
- While the octopus is poaching, prepare your marinade. In a pan heat olive oil in medium heat, add the garlic and sauté until garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the anchovies, stir then turn the heat off. Let it cool for 5 minutes then stir in the paprika.
- Once octopus is ready, remove from the pot, drain then cut into individual tentacles. Place in a large bowl then pour olive oil anchovy marinade then let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Prepare the beans, in a saucepan heat olive oil in low heat, add paprika and chorizo then cook in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable stock, add the white beans and chilli flakes then continue to simmer in low head while shaking the pan until the liquids emulsify. Cook for 10 minutes.
- While beans are simmering, grill the octopus in your oven (better if you grill them over charcoal) using the highest heat. Grill until edges are charred and crisp, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Remove octopus from the grill, place in a cutting board then cut octopus in bite sized pieces. Set it aside.
- Stir in red wine vinegar and parsley into the beans and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place octopus in a serving platter then top it with the beans with the sauce then serve.