Kangkung Belacan is a Malaysian vegetable side dish prepared with water spinach called Kangkung stir fried with spices, aromatics and a shrimp paste called belacan.
- 500 g water spinach / kangkung, rinsed well and chopped
- 2 pcs red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp
- 3/4 inch cube belacan
- vegetable oil
- 8 pcs small shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- fish sauce, to taste
- In a large wok heat oil then cook the dried shrimps until pungent and crispy, remove from wok then set it aside.
- In the same wok sauté garlic and shallots in medium-low heat. Cook shallots until soft.
- Add the belacan, mash and stir fry with the cooked shallots for 3 minutes.
- Add the water spinach, put on very high heat then continuously stir fry for 3 minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
- Season with fish sauce, add the crispy dried shrimps, give it a good mix, turn off heat then serve.