Crispy Fried Pompano is a simple dish for crispy fried pompano fish seasoned with salt and pepper then deep fried in a garlic infused oil.
- 1 large pompano, scaled and gutted
- 1 whole garlic, pounded in a mortar and pestle
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper oil
- Score pompano in a criss-cross pattern then season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Try to rub salt and pepper into the creases and insides as well.
- Prepare a wok, add 1/4 cup of oil and place under medium low heat. Add garlic then cook until golden brown and crispy. Remove garlic from wok, place on a plate lined with paper towel in one layer to remove excess oil. Let it cool and set aside.
- Add more oil to the wok, add enough for deep frying, heat to 180C. Using a paper towel pat dry fish to avoid heavy splattering, gently put fish into the wok then cook for 8 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from wok, drain then place in a serving platter, sprinkle fried garlic on top then serve.