Sotong Masak Asam Kunyit or Squid cooked in tamarind and turmeric is a Malaysian dish of squid cooked with tamarind, turmeric, lemongrass and chillies, a popular dish usually served on food stalls like Mamaks
- 12 pcs medium sized squid (around 5 inch in body length), cut in 3 sections
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white sections, finely chopped
- 2 red chili, sliced
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander, plus more for garnishing
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup water
- fish sauce
- oil for frying
- Dissolve tamarind pulp in water, then set aside.
- In a wok add oil then sauté shallot, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in high heat.
- Add squid and turmeric powder, stir fry for a minute.
- Pour the tamarind liquid into the wok discarding the solids, let it boil continuously and cook for 10 minutes in high heat. Add water if liquid dries out.
- Add the red chilli, green chilli and coriander, season with fish sauce then stir fry for a minute.
- Turn heat off, place in serving platter, garnish with coriander then serve.