Kalamay Hati is a Filipino rice cake prepared with glutinous rice flour, coconut milk and sugar cooked in a large pan while continuously mixing until it becomes thick and dense until it holds it shape. Once cooked it is topped with latik, a coconut milk curd.
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 2 cups dark cane sugar or muscovado sugar
- 2 cans 400 ml coconut milk
- banana leaf
- 4 tbsp latik
- In a non-stick pan combine coconut milk, glutinous rice flour and palm sugar, mix it well until free of lumps.
- Place pan in a stove over medium heat, continue mixing while cooking for 50-60 minutes or until mixture can hold its shape. Just a note mixing will get harder and harder as it cooks.
- Grease banana leaf with the oil from latik then line it in a round shallow pan, this would fit the 8 – 9 in round pan.
- Pour mixture on the pan while still hot then top with latik; let it cool then serve hot or cold.