Mushrooms with Bean Curd and Fried Tofu is a simple Chinese vegetable dish of stir fried then braised mixed mushrooms, bean curd and tofu with vegetables.
- 250 g fried tofu, cut in half
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup dried wood ear fungus
- 12 pcs bean curd knots
- 1 400g can straw mushrooms, sliced in half
- 12 pcs white button mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 small red capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock (for vegetarian option)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 pcs spring onions, sliced, separate green and white parts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce or salt (for vegetarian option)
- boiling water
- Rehydrate shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water. Once mushrooms become soft, slice it in half then set it aside. Reserve rehydrating liquid
- Rehydrate dried wood ear fungus in 1 cup boiling water. Once dried wood ear fungus become soft, chop them then set it aside.
- Rehydrate bean curd knots in 4 cups warm water. Once bean curd knots become soft, drain then set it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the wok over high heat. Add garlic, ginger and white parts of spring onions then sauté for 30 seconds
- Add the shiitake, straw mushrooms, dried wood ear fungus and button mushrooms then stir fry for a minute.
- Mix together soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock, water from rehydrated mushrooms and cornstarch, mix well until free of lumps then pour into the wok. Season with fish sauce, bring it to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust thickness of sauce to your liking by either adding water or cornstarch slurry to the sauce.
- Add the rehydrated bean curd knots, give it a good mix then simmer for five minutes.
- Add the carrots and red capsicum, mix then simmer for two more minutes.
- Drizzle sesame oil on top, place chopped green parts of spring onions on top, turn heat off then serve.