Claypot Tofu with Prawn is a Chinese vegetable dish that is made with egg tofu, mushrooms, vegetables, and prawns stir fried then simmered in a sizzling hot claypot just before serving.
- 2 tubes (150 grams) egg tofu, sliced to 1 1/2 cm thickness
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- oil, for pan frying
- 400 g can straw mushrooms
- 300 g large prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 small carrots
- 150 g snow peas, trimmed
- 250 g baby corn, sliced
- half thumb size ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Heat a clay pot or a similar vessel that can hold heat on a stove top over high heat, leave it to heat up as you continue with the next steps.
- Coat egg tofu slices with cornstarch. Set it aside
- Heat oil in a wok and once it starts smoking pan fry egg tofu until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from wok then set it aside.
- Using the same wok, in medium heat, add oil if needed then sauté garlic, shallots and ginger.
- Bring heat to high, add the baby corn and straw mushrooms then stir fry for 2 minutes
- Add carrots then continue to stir fry for 1 minute
- Still in high heat, add snow peas and prawn then continue to stir fry for a minute.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl then pour it into the wok, once it boils turn the heat off then add the egg tofu.
- Pour everything into the hot clay pot carefully, this will vigorously sizzle, quickly fold it to mix the sauce evenly. Cover it immediately then turn the heat off.
- Serve hot clay pot immediately.
Looks delightful! Love your rice bowls..really pretty.
Can’t go wrong with prawns. Bet this is good!