Soup Number Five or more commonly spelled as Soup Number 5 is a Filipino soup made out of bull’s testes and testicles, usually served as a pulutan or a hangover cure, it is also considered to be an aphrodisiac.
- 800 g bulls’ testes and testicles, cleaned and parboiled
- 200 g beef tendons
- 8 stalks lemongrass
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped then separate white and green sections
- 1 packet sibot herb mix
- 4 pcs birds eye chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 1 whole head garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- In a pot combine parboiled bulls’ testes and testicles, beef tendons, water, beef stock, lemongrass and sibot herb mix. Bring it to a boil and simmer in low heat covered for 3 1/2 hours or until very tender. Remove the testes, testicles, and tendons, set it aside. Discard lemongrass and sibot then reserve the liquid.
- Slice the testes, testicles, and tendons into bite sized pieces.
- In another pot, heat oil then sauté garlic, onions, white sections of spring onions and ginger until aromatic and onions are soft.
- Add the testes, testicles and tendons and chillies then sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour the reserved liquid bring it to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Bring the heat to high slightly reduce the liquid, the collagen in the tendons will keep it slightly thicker. Season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour into serving bowls topped with green parts of spring onions.