Kalcag Rice or Calcag Rice is an Ilonggo style of fried rice stir fried with Kalkag (lightly salted tiny dried shrimps) and garlic
- 4 cups leftover white rice
- 1/2 cup kalcag
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 6–8 cloves garlic, pounded using mortar and pestle
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Using your hands try to separate cooked rice into individual grains rather than big chunks, this will make your stir frying easy.
- Place a large wok in high heat, add enough oil to lightly cover the surface of your wok.
- If the wok starts smoking, lower the heat then add the garlic and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Add kalcag then stir fry for 2 minutes or until kalcag turns brown and becomes crispy
- Add the rice then continuously stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Place the chopped spring onions, give it a good mix.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then serve.