- Place bagoong in a sieve, rinse on running tap water to remove excess liquid and make it less salty and fishy. Set bagoong aside.
- In a pot melt and heat pork lard then brown the pork on all sides. Remove then set aside.
- Now add the garlic and onions then sauté until onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and annatto powder then cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Bring back the pork then add vinegar, bagoong and water, simmer in low heat for 45 minutes or until pork is tender, add water if necessary.
- Add in the sugar and finger chillies then continue mixing until liquid has reduced.
- Season with freshly ground pepper.
There are two types of bagoong alamang, one is sautéed which appears in dark red colour and another one whihc is raw and it apprears in pink colour. Use the raw/pink one on this recipe.