Sizzling Tofu is a Filipino dish of twice cooked tofu, first by pan frying or deep frying then seasoned with oyster sauce and chillies, tossed in mayonnaise before it is served on a sizzling hot plate with freshly chopped onions.
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu (approx. 500g), cut into small cubes
- 2 sweet red chillies, chopped
- 2 sweet yellow chillies, chopped
- 1 birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- Combine all sauce ingredients then set it aside.
- Prepare oil in deep fryer, heat to 180C. Deep fry tofu pieces until it turns light brown.
- Remove from fryer then drain excess oil. Set aside.
In a large pan, add oil then quickly sauté the onions, birds eye chilli and long green chilli , do not cook the onions, it should still be crunchy.
- Add the fried tofu cubes and the sauce, toss to coat tofu pieces evenly. Continuously toss and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Prepare a sizzling plate, once it’s hot, add the butter then transfer tofu on to the metal plate. Serve while sizzling.