Sizzling Tofu is a Filipino dish of twice cooked tofu, first by pan frying or deep frying then seasoned with oyster sauce and chillies, tossed in mayonnaise before it is served on a sizzling hot plate with freshly chopped onions.
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu (approx. 500g), cut into small cubes
- 2 sweet red chillies, chopped
- 2 sweet yellow chillies, chopped
- 1 birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 tbsp water
- Combine all sauce ingredients then set it aside.
- Prepare oil in deep fryer, heat to 180C. Deep fry tofu pieces until it turns light brown.
- Remove from fryer then drain excess oil. Set aside.
In a large pan, add oil then quickly sauté the onions, birds eye chilli and long green chilli , do not cook the onions, it should still be crunchy.
- Add the fried tofu cubes and the sauce, toss to coat tofu pieces evenly. Continuously toss and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Prepare a sizzling plate, once it’s hot, add the butter then transfer tofu on to the metal plate. Serve while sizzling.
Looks crisp and so perfect with that creamy sauce!
This looks so good! I will be making this soon if I can find the chile peppers. Thanks!
Any dish with tofu is good with me. I especially love the extra from you use here. This is a great recipe, Raymund… another of yours I need to make soon.
My girl would love this! She loves tofu!
We have a Max’s restaurant and my Filipina friend loves it — I have to try it one day, but in the meantime, your tofu dish will suffice! Looks delicious!
Just when I’ve seen every dish using tofu, you introduce me to a new one! I love the combination of crispy and creamy textures here, with a satisfying finish. I’m so excited to try it!
This looks wonderful and a great way to get the husband to enjoy tofu rather than just tolerate it. 🙂 Need to give this a try. Thanks Raymund and hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.