Caldo Puch is a family heirloom recipe from Barcelona prepared like arrozcaldo but instead of beef or chicken its main ingredients are pork, chicken breast, squid, shrimp, clams, green peas and crisped bacon in a tomato-based sauce.
- In a large pot boil clam stock and chicken stock together, add clams and cook until all shells open. Remove from heat, using a muslin cloth separate clams and the stock. Note: you must use muslin so it will also filter out grains of sand from the clams.
- Once clam cools off, separate meat from shells, set it aside. You might need to leave a few still on the shell for garnishing.
- In another pot, heat olive oil then add bacon, cook in low heat until bacon is crispy, remove from pot then set it aside.
- In the same pot, add garlic and onions then sauté until fragrant.
- Add pork belly, bring heat to high then lightly brown pork pieces on all sides.
- Pour the reserved liquid, add rice and chopped tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent bottom from sticking.
- Add the clam meat, chicken breast, squid, prawns and green peas, simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then served topped with crispy bacon.