Pork Belly and Tofu Kimchi Jjigae us a Korean stew of pork belly, tofu and vegetables cooked in an anchovy-based broth seasoned with gochujang.
- 1 kg g pork belly, thick slices
- 1 large block tofu, thick slices
- 500 g kimchi, cut into smaller chunks
- 150 g white button mushrooms
- 4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup kimchi brine
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups dashi or anchovy stock
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Season pork belly with salt, then charcoal grill pork belly for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill then set it aside.
- In a shallow pot arrange kimchi, kimchi brine, grilled pork, white button mushrooms and dried shiitake mushrooms. In a bowl combine dashi, gochujang, gochugaru, sugar and salt. Pour over the seasoned dashi into the pot then bring to a boil and simmer in medium high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add tofu and onions, lower heat to medium then simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Turn heat off then top with spring onions then serve.