Sweet and Sour Meatballs is a type of Sweet and Sour dish prepared with pork meatballs, its perfect to serve on freshly steamed jasmine rice.
- 1 kg minced pork
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 pcs eggs
- 2 pcs small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- oil, for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 can pineapple pieces, retain the juice
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper (capsicum), sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper (capsicum), sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed in 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 carrots, sliced into chunks
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 5 cloves, garlic minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all meatballs ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Wet your hands with some water then form your meatballs, set it aside.
- Heat up a wok, fill with oil enough for frying your meatballs. Once hot gently place the meatballs then fry them until cooked, this might take around 5-7 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs.
- Remove meatballs form your wok, drain off the excess oil then serve with your favourite sauce.
- On a separate wok, add oil and sauté garlic and ginger.
- Add capsicum, carrots and onions then continue to stir fry for a minute.
- Add chicken stock, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice from the pineapple, tomato ketchup and diluted cornstarch. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add meatballs and tomatoes to the mixture then simmer for 2 more minutes.