Black Kutsinta is a type of rice cake from the Philippines derived from kutsinta but rather than a simple rice flour, sugar and water, this version is flavoured with molasses.
- Grease 24 pieces of puto/kutsinta moulds with oil spray then set aside.
- Combine all Black Kutsinta ingredients in a bowl, mix it well. Colour will not be black at this stage; it will be more like brown but once it cooks it will turn into a nice hue of black.
- Pour mixture into the moulds then place in a prepared steamer, cover top with clean cloth, then place the lid on. Steam for 15 minutes in medium heat. Remove from steamer then let it cool.
- Prepare your Dulce de Leche topping, place the unopened can of condensed milk in a pot, fill it with water to cover the whole can then let it boil. Lower to a simmering heat and cook for one hour.
- Prepare your Toasted Desiccated Coconut Topping, in a non-stick pan place the desiccated coconut. Place in stove top over medium low heat, toast the desiccated coconut until golden brown, mix frequently to prevent it from burning.
- Unmould your black kutsinta, place on serving platters then top it with Dulce de Leche and serve with Toasted Desiccated Coconut.