Kalabasang Ukoy is a Filipino type of fritter made with buttercup squash, carrots and spring onions. Typically served with a sweet and spicy vinegar dip
- 2 1/2 cups buttercup squash, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup spring onions, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 pcs large egg
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or sea salt for vegetarian option
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- In a bowl combine flour, cornstarch, egg, water, fish sauce, minced garlic, salt and pepper, mix well until smooth.
- Add the buttercup squash, carrots, spring onions and red onion then stir until well combined.
- Prepare a large skillet, heat enough oil for shallow frying, then add 1/2 a cup of squash mixture into the pan, flatten it with a spatula then fry in medium heat until the bottom turns light golden brown and crispy. Flip to the other side and cook until that side turns light golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from pan, drain excess oil then place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve.