Feijoa Fizz is a Kiwi drink prepared with feijoa skins soaked in water and sugar, letting the natural yeast ferment making it fizzy.
- enough Feijoa skins to press inside a 3-litre water packed and filled nearly to the top.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 litres boiled or sterilized water
- 1/4 tsp champagne yeast (optional, use if you want it fizzier)
- Prepare a 4-litre sterilized jug that you can close. Fill it with enough Feijoa skins packed and filled nearly to the top, leave enough space for a sterilized ramekin to push the skins down.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar then fill with clean water up to the top. Place a ramekin on top to push then skins down, do not let any fruit skin exposed in the air, it should all be under water. Cover tightly then leave it in room temperature for 3 days.
- Pour and strain liquid into another sterilized container that can handle pressure (i.e. recycled coke plastic bottle), add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and champagne yeast (if using).
- Cover tightly, place in the refrigerator for three days or longer if you want more alcohol content then pop open and serve chilled.
- Do not fully clean the skins otherwise you will remove the natural yeast, so its best to use your backyard feijoa so you are sure that they are pesticide free.
- Other fruits can be used but only those ones that produces and/or attracts natural yeast on their skins. To identify if a fruit has one you will see a grayish powder in the surface of the fruit skin, that is your natural yeast
What an exotic drink! I have never seen or had feijoa fruit…
Its like a cross between guava and a star apple
Fascinating! I’ve never seen these fruits. And I’ve visited New Zealand! Damn. It’s a lot of work for a drink. Is it worth it?!
Well it was not because the drink was really amazing, dont get me wrong, it was still good but knowing the fact I wont throw away those skins anymore is worth it.
I am with the others… I have never seen a feijoa. Very cool!
What a perfectly refreshing treat! Especially on these very hot days, I could really go for a glass… Or a full pitcher!
we live in NZ and in season these fruit are in such abundance its almost annoying! Great tasting fizzy beverage, so worth the effort (very little effort in my opinion) plus the added bonus of knowing theres no waste
We live in Aotearoa (New Zealand) and love feijoas. The Feijoa Fizz recipe is a five-star plus one for our family. This is a totally delicious, refreshing drink to enjoy while feijoas are in season.
And whats good this is no waste 🙂