Panara is a Filipino dish made with deep fried wonton wrappers filled with bottle gourd, shrimps, onion and garlic.
- 2 cups chopped bottle gourd/upo
- 16 pcs square wonton wrappers
- 12 pieces medium sized shelled shrimps
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small egg, beaten
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- In a pan sauté garlic and onions in oil.
- Add shrimp and bottle gourd then stir fry for 3 minutes, do not cook the bottle gourd fully, it should still be crisp.
- Remove from heat then let it cool.
- Prepare your wonton wrappers, place a tablespoonful of the bottle gourd and shrimp mixture in the middle portion of the wrapper, dip your finger into the beaten egg and run it through the side of the wrapper, fold into a triangle then press the edges to seal. Do it with the remaining mixture and wrappers. Set it aside.
- Heat up a wok filled with oil for deep frying, and once it reached 170C deep fry wontons until golden brown. Remove from wok, drain excess oil, place in a serving platter then serve.
Interesting! Thanks for the explanation between the two types of panara. I’ve never made (or even had) either version, but this recipe looks easy enough. And it sounds delicious!
Such an interesting use of wonton wrappers! They look so crisp and I love that bottle gourd shrimp filling a lot.
Really fun recipe! Very creative, and the flavor sounds intriguing. Thanks!
Fascinating, and such a delicious dish! You definitely wouldn’t need to -push- me to try veganizing this one. 😉 It’s hard to go wrong with fried wontons or dumplings of any sort.
This dish looks nice and crispy! Bottle gourd is something I’ve never heard of, but it sounds great!
Its really good, if you tried chayote its nearly similar in taste but texture of this is quite smooth
Learnt something new today about what Panara means from the Japanese slang. Interesting how food brings us all together. I love wonton wrappers and your recipe sounds easy and delish.Thanks
What a great appetizer – and thanks for the info on substituting chayote for the gourd. I am thinking of making my own wontons – have you ever done that? I should look on your log and see. I am trying to make everything I can at home… it’s a quarantine goal…
These little finger food with shrimp in it looks delicious…love the crispy wonton skin…great as appetizer.
Have a wonderful week ahead Raymund!