Inday Inday is a Filipino rice cake from Iloilo made with poached glutinous rice flour dough topped with a thick brown sugar syrup infused with young coconut strips
Glutinous Rice Dough
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
Coconut Syrup Topping
- 1 1/2 cups young coconut strips
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- In a pan over medium heat combine coconut milk and brown sugar, give it a good mix then bring it to a boil, once boiling continue to simmer in medium heat for 15 minutes, frequently stir to avoid burning.
- Add the young coconut strips and reduce further until sauce thickens to your preference. Turn the heat off then set it aside.
- In a bowl combine all Glutinous Rice Dough ingredients then form it into balls, once a ball form, flatten it but not too thin. Set aside.
- In a deep pan boil some water for poaching the dough, once it boils lower the heat then drop the Glutinous Rice balls in batches. Once a ball starts to float, turn it over and cook for one more minute. Remove from the pot, drain the place in a serving platter.
- Pour brown sugar and coconut strips sauce on top then serve.