Bangus Belly and Prawn Escabeche is a type of Filipino escabeche prepared with milkfish belly and prawns instead of a whole fish.
- 500 g boneless bangus belly
- 500 g large shelled prawns
- 1 red capsicum, julienned
- 1 large carrots, julienned
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapples, chopped
- 2/3 cup cane vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- In a pan, add oil and when the temperature is right for pan frying, place the bangus belly. Fry for 4 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove fish from the pan then set it aside.
- Remove all but 3 tbsp of oil from the pan. Sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add capsicum, carrots and prawns, and stir fry for a minute
- Combine together vinegar, cornstarch, water, sugar, salt, freshly ground black pepper and tomato puree then pour into the pan.
- Add the pineapples and tomatoes then bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried bangus belly and spring onions, let is simmer for 30 more seconds. Turn heat off then serve.