Ube Loaf is a type Filipino loaf swirl bread prepared with ube jam randomly tucked on the creases of this soft and doughy Asian style milk bread.
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tsp ube flavocol
- 2 packed cups cooked grated purple yam
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 400 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- In a large work add butter and melt in low heat.
- Still in low heat, add condensed milk and brown sugar then heat until liquid loosens up.
- Bring heat to medium then add the grated purple yam then continue stirring until it becomes thick. You need to constantly stir for 20-25 minutes in low heat.
- Slowly add coconut cream and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, it should be in spreadable consistency.
- Remove from heat then let it cool.
- Place dry and wet ingredients in a bread maker or a stand mixer.
- If you use a bread maker put it in knead setting and let it do its work until it finishes from kneading to proofing, the dough will grow to 1 1/2 times its original size.
If you are using a stand mixer, Use the dough hook attachment, and turn on the mixer to stir. Mix for 20 minutes. Once done proof dough by covering the mixing bowl with damp cloth and placing it in a warm spot, leave it there for 1 hour or until dough had grown to 1 1/2 times its original size.
- Prepare and grease two loaf pans. Set it aside.
- Divide the dough equally into two separate pieces.
- Flatten each piece into a rectangle shape, it should be around 1/2 inch thick. Once done spread half of the cooled ube jam on top. Now fold the rectangle on both sides up to the middle of the dough. Do it again on the perpendicular side. Gently flatten the dough and form it into a rectangle shape. Slice through into three sections leaving the top bit intact (like the photo above), then braid. Do this with the remaining half of the dough.
- Place the braided dough into the loaf pan then let it proof for another hour or until it is nearly doubled in size.
- Mix together egg wash ingredients then brush it over the prepared dough.
- Bake in a 170C preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven, let it cool before removing it from the loaf pan.