Tiyula Itum is a Filipino beef soup prepared with beef or goat pieces that were cooked with lemongrass, ginger, turmeric and charred coconut meat.
- 1 kg beef brisket, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated coconut meat
- 4 stalks lemongrass, white section only pounded
- 3 birds eye chillies, finely chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 thumb sized turmeric, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pcs shallots, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place coconut meat on an aluminium lined baking tray. Place in the oven on the highest grill setting, cook until brunt. It should be black burnt, let it cool then place in a food processor to make into powder.
- Season beef with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a pot heat oil then brown beef pieces on all sides, in batches. Remove beef pieces then set it aside.
- In the same pot add oil if needed, then sauté garlic, shallots, ginger, turmeric, chillies and burnt coconut powder.
- Add the beef back together with the lemongrass then pour the beef stock. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 1/2 hours in low heat.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.