Salina Chicken is a very simple Italian dish of chicken and aubergines cooked with herbs and chillies with tomatoes over oven.
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs and leg, cut into sections
- 3 medium aubergines, approx. 750 g, cut into large chunks
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, approx. 200g
- 2 pcs red chillies, sliced in the middle but not cut through
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 3 tbsp capers in brine
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- juice from 2 lemons
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 pcs red onions, sliced
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Season the aubergines with a generous amount of sea salt. Set it aside for 30 minutes and let it sweat. Shake of excess salt.
- Season chicken with salt. In a large pan, heat olive oil in medium heat then add the chicken skin side down. Brown all sides then remove from pan then set it aside.
- Place aubergines in the pan, cook until brown on all sides. Remove from the pan then set it aside.
- Add more oil to the pan then sauté garlic, onions and chillies.
- Add capers, bay leaves, cinnamon and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes in low heat until the onion caramelizes.
- Squeeze the cherry tomatoes in a bowl full of water, this will remove the seeds. Place the seeded tomatoes into the pan together with the aubergines and chicken. Pour chicken stock, sprinkle pine nuts and add the lemon juice. Cook in a 180C preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven then serve.