Hinalang is a Filipino dish from the province of Visayas prepared by boiling beef or carabao meat with ginger, spring onions, onions and chillies
- 1 ½ kg beef (any bony part, ribs or neck)
- ½ Chinese cabbage, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced, white and green section separated
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 4 pcs birds eye chilies, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground pepper
- fish sauce
- On a pot add oil then sauté onions, garlic, ginger, birds eye chilies and spring onions (white section)
- Add the beef, cook until beef turns light brown.
- Pour enough water to cover the beef then add the peppercorns, bring to a boil then simmer for 1.5 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the cabbage and capsicum, then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve, garnished with the green sections of the spring onions.