Vanilla Braised Beef Cheeks is a type of beef stew cooked simply with wine and vanilla bean together with herbs and spices like garlic, onion, thyme and bay leaves.
- 1.5 – 2 kg beef cheeks (approx. 6 pcs )
- 250 ml dry red wine
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup tbsp plain flour
- 2 pcs thyme sprigs
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 4 garlic cloves, pounded
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season beef cheeks with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place flour in a plate then toss in the beef cheeks to coat with the flour.
- In a Dutch Oven add heat olive oil over high heat then brown beef cheeks on all sides.
- Push beef to the side then add the carrots, onions and garlic. Sauté for a minute.
- Deglaze casserole with wine and once its boiling add stock, tomato paste, sherry vinegar, vanilla and sugar.
- Add the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Cover your Dutch Oven then place in a 180C preheated oven then cook for 2 hours. Check liquid levels halfway, and if it’s too low top it up with a bit of water.
- Remove Dutch Oven from the oven, place in stove top. Set aside the beef cheeks.
- Reduce sauce over high heat for 3-5 minutes until it becomes gravy in consistency.
- Season with salt, return beef to the sauce, mix then turn heat off. Serve.