Kaleskes is a dish from Dagupan Pangasinan prepared with carabao or cows’ intestine, pancreas, tripe and other internal organs cooked in a soup form seasoned with vinegar and other spices.
- 500 g beef or carabao intestines, thoroughly cleaned, parboiled and cut into bite sized sections
- 500 g beef or carabao tripe, thoroughly cleaned, parboiled boiled and cut into bite sized sections
- 1/4 cup cane vinegar
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 4 green finger chillies
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 4 tsp annatto powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- In a large pot heat oil then add garlic and onions, sauté until fragrant.
- Add the intestines, tripe and annatto powder, stir fry in high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and green finger chillies, boil then simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add spring onions, turn off heat then serve.