Pungko Pungko are street food stalls popular in Cebu that sells a random assortment of fried food, it is a term that is associated with the food these stalls sells.
Deep Fried Items
- 700 g pork intestines, cleaned and sliced
- 700 g fatty pork cuts (pork cheeks, belly, neck or shoulder chops), sliced
- 20 pcs Lumpiang Shanghai
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- In a pot place sliced intestine and pour water just enough to cover the meat. Boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Once done, fully drain and rinse the intestines in running tap water.
- In a clean pot, pour 4 cups of water and the rest of the boiling liquid ingredients. Add the pre-boiled intestines and pork, bring it to a boil then simmer in medium heat for 30 minutes. Once done, drain then discard everything apart from the meats. Let the meat cool down.
- In a bowl combine beaten eggs, garlic and salt.
- On a plate, add the cornstarch.
- Dip meats in the egg mixture then into the cornstarch then on to a 180C pre heated deep fryer or wok filled with oil then deep fry meats until golden brown in colour, this will take around 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from fryer then set aside.
- Deep fry lumpia until cooked and golden brown in colour. Remove from fryer then set aside.
- Place all deep-fried items on a large platter then serve with sawsawan and rice. Enjoy!