A simple udon soup once done right is incredible on its own, just the noodles alone is something to drool for! chewy, fat, slippery delicious. The broth is another thing, that umami filled soup is so addictive, any noodle dipped into that becomes amazing. I tried some good ones and one of the best so far was the one we had in Marukame Udon in Hawaii, that is what I call heaven in a bowl, a very simple dish, just noodles, broth and tenkasu alone is enough to make is a worthwhile dish.
Now imagine adding several large prawn tempura in the mix now that is something to die for, but would you prefer your tempura soaked or not soaked? I prefer them separated to keep the crispy state of that delicious tempura prawns. I am not sure if there are rules around this dish, but I had tried this in different Japanese restaurants as well as in Japan and they do serve both ways.
- 2 packs single serve udon, cooked according to package instructions
- 4 cups dashi
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- shichimi togarashi
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tbsp corn-starch
- 1½ cup ice cold water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 pcs prawns, shelled and deveined
- 2 pcs sweet potatoes, sliced
- oil for deep frying
- In a pot combine dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake and salt bring to a boil then reduce to simmering heat, cook for 3 minutes.
- Place udon in bowls then ladle hot soup into the bowls. Top with spring onions and shichimi togarashi.
- In a big mixing bowl add ice cubes and place a smaller bowl on top.
- Mix all batter ingredients lightly on the smaller bowl, just enough to make the flour moist, do not over mix.
- Heat oil to 180C in a deep fryer.
- Now dip 1 prawn or sweet potatoes at a time in the cold batter into the fryer. Cooking 3 items at a time and give a good drizzle of the cold batter on top, this will give volume and more texture to the item that is cooked. Cook for no more than 1 minute or until it is light brown in colour.
- Scoop out everything in the fryer, place in a towel lined plate then cook the remaining ingredients.
- Mix sauce ingredients together then serve it with freshly cooked tempura.
- Serve tempura on top of udon noodle soup or if you don’t want it soggy just serve tempura on the side.