Persian Style Pomegranate, Peach and Walnut Braised Lamb is an Iranian dish of slowly braised lamb cooked in chicken stock infused with pomegranate molasses, onions and peaches
- 2 kgs whole lamb leg, approx. 2 or 3 pcs small leg
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 cups red wine (Merlot or Shiraz)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 pcs fresh peaches, peeled and halved
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- handful of chopped coriander
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Generously season lamb leg with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large deep skillet heat oil then brown lamb on all sides. Remove from skillet then set aside.
- Add onion then sauté until it caramelizes, add the garlic, walnuts and cinnamon then continue to sauté for two minutes.
- Pour red wine and red wine vinegar bring it to a boil scraping the browned bits.
- Add the pomegranate juice and chopped coriander then bring it back to a boil, add the lamb leg back together with the peaches. Cover then simmer in low heat for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove cover then bring heat to medium, reduce the liquid for 15 minutes to thicken the sauce. Taste then season with salt (if needed) and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve garnished with pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley.