Japanese Potato Salad
If you love potatoes then you need to try this recipe, this is like the pinnacle of all potato recipes a simple Japanese Potato Salad which is a cross between your usual Potato Salad and Mashed Potatoes. It’s almost a quintessential part of Japanese bento boxes, served with most yoshoku dishes and a common Japanese household dish, this creamy texture rich salad is a must have and a must try. Slightly mashed potatoes and eggs gives it that creamy taste, carrots and cucumber gives it that texture and colour as well as that ham that gives it additional savouriness topped with a sweet creamy Japanese mayonnaise, what can go wrong.
- 2 large Agria potatoes, approx. 500 g, peeled and cubed
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- ½ medium carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 50 g champagne ham, diced
- ⅔ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put potatoes in a pot then add water until it covers all the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the water thoroughly.
- Roughly mash the potatoes, leaving irregularly shaped chunks. Remove from pot, place in a large bowl then set it aside.
- Place eggs on a small bowl then mash the eggs with a fork. Set aside.
- Back to the bowl with potatoes, add the mashed eggs, carrots, cucumber, champagne ham and Kewpie mayonnaise. Mix well then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Chill before serving.