Sup Ekor is a Malaysian soup dish prepared with oxtails and vegetables like carrots, potatoes and tomatoes seasoned with shallot, garlic and spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- 1 ½ kg oxtails
- 500 ml beef stock
- 800 ml water
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 pcs cardamoms
- 1 pc star anise
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and onions once fragrant add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamoms and star anise. Stir fry in medium heat for a minute.
- Bring heat to high then add the oxtails, continue to cook beef for 5 minutes.
- Add water, beef stock and a good amount of freshly ground black pepper then bring to a boil, simmer in low heat for 2 hrs.
- Add the potatoes and carrots then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and tomatoes then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce, then serve while hot garnished with spring onions.