Anchovy and Bacon Fried Cabbage
Most of the times cabbage dishes are boring, who even eat this thing? Its tasteless, its lifeless and it’s usually the unwanted side dish so why bother cooking it at all? I am not a fan of this vegetable but I do cook them once in a while as an add-on to any dish but on stir fries as well where I can carry a lot of flavour but it’s the last vegetable I will pick on the grocery until when I tried an amazing cabbage dish in Apero which probably is the best cabbage dish I tried to date, since then there was hope, a hope for this vegetable to liven up the dinner table.
Our recipe today was inspired from that hence we made a dish that is definitely full of flavour, too much you won’t believe its cabbage. To do that I grabbed the two tastiest things in my fridge, anchovies and bacon plus two types of umami filled mushrooms which we will be using as a flavour base to braise or cabbage today.
- In a wok heat oil in medium heat, add bacon then cook until crispy, remove from wok then set aside leaving the oil in the wok.
- Add the garlic and shallots, sauté until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, stir fry for a minute.
- Add anchovies, cook further in low heat for a minute.
- Add the cabbage, stir fry for 30 seconds then add the water from rehydrating the shiitake mushrooms. Bring heat to high, let it boil then lower heat, cover wok then simmer for 4 minutes or until cabbage is cooked.
- Mix in the cooked bacon, turn heat off then place in serving bowl. Serve.